Skip to main content
Women of FHSS Research

This page highlights different research and work that is referenced by our guests and panelists, as well as research from BYU Faculty that are relevant to our mission.

A Fireside Chat with Sheri Dew on Women and Leadership

UWLP

Sheri Dew, internationally recognized author, speaker, and leader, is well-known for her engaging stories, forthright advice, and her passion around the potential of girls and women in Utah and around the world. In this engaging fireside chat, she responds to questions about her own leadership development journey and provides insights and perspectives on why, where, and how women today are needed to influence, impact, and lead in all settings.

What if a Plan A Doesn't Work

Casey Hurley, Department of Business Management at BYU-Idaho

A husband’s attitude toward his wife’s education is the key factor in determining whether she will finish school. The message that women should get all the education they can is a message for all of our students, not just the women.

Faculty News: Dr. Melissa Goates Jones, On Balance

Kristine Hoyt

The biggest surprise of Melissa Goates Jones’ life happened when she became a mother. “I found myself absolutely blown away by how much I loved being a mother,” she says on Aspiring Mormon Women. “I expected that I would have children because that’s what I ‘should do.’ I had no idea that being a mother would be something for which I felt a deep…longing.” As a career woman and a PhD, she says that this realization was “disorienting.”

Multidimensional Women Multidimensional Lives

Christine M. Durham (Former Justice of the Utah Supreme Court) Kennedy Center 2019 Article

  • 51 percent—more than half—of Latter-day Saint women over the age of eighteen are single
  • The national average in the U.S. for women who work full-time is 39 percent.

    • Within the Church it is 25 percent: one in four Latter-day Saint women work full-time outside the home
  • The national average for part-time employment is 14 percent.

    • Another 23 percent of Latter-day Saint women work part-time
  • If you add the 25 percent and the 23 percent together, paid employment outside the home occupies a place in the lives of 48 percent of Latter-day Saint women—nearly half. On a national level it is 52 percent, so there is a measure in which Latter-day Saint women are quite on parity with the rest of women in American culture.

In an Unequal World, Women's Liberal Arts Colleges Remain Relevant

Rebecca Prinster, Insight Into Diversity

Middle-aged women returning to school: A woman who has the foresight can see that through forty years of experience she has mature the ability to commence a grand and useful second half of her life.

BYU Political Review

Lillie Haggard, November 2020, page 10

A TIME report showed that BYU was ranked to have one of the highest gender pay gaps after graduation with an average salary of $29,500 for BYU women and $84,500 for men, a 186% difference.