FHSS Student Research Academy
If you’re a BYU junior or senior in the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences and are a member of a group that is typically under-represented in graduate school (e.g., low income, first generation), we want you to apply to the FHSS Student Research Academy!
Application deadline: June 3, 2022
As an Academy student, you’ll work with a faculty member who is interested in building a mentoring relationship with you as you participate in their research project. You’ll also benefit from a structured Academy experience where you meet regularly with other Academy students and faculty for additional support as you prepare for graduate school and a career in academia or research. We believe participating in the FHSS Student Research Academy will provide experiences to help you make educated decisions about your future and put your best foot forward when applying for graduate school.
Benefits of the FHSS Student Research Academy:
- Receive a $1,000 scholarship
- Be hired as a paid research assistant to work with a faculty member (5-10 hours per week at $11 per hour)
- As part of this paid position, participate in the research process and gain valuable experience in data collection, analysis, and visualization as you work with a faculty mentor
- Prepare for graduate school as you attend a 1-credit Academy class in both Fall and Winter semesters — you’ll connect with resources for GRE prep, for resume or CV creation, and for applying to and preparing for graduate programs
- Add to your resume or CV as you present your research in a poster at the Mary Lou Fulton Mentored Student Research Conference in April
- Enjoy an annual banquet to celebrate Academy students and highlight their research presentations
It’s easy to apply — here’s how:
- Identify research you want to be involved in or a professor you would like to work with. Carefully consider which projects listed below might best fit your interests. If you are already working with a faculty member on research, that’s great — you may still apply, just specify that you’d like to continue to work with that faculty member while in the program. If you need help connecting to a faculty member or research project, see below for a list of available faculty and research by department.
- Fill out and submit the application by June 3, noting at least three faculty members with whom you would be interested in working.
- Once accepted, enroll in the 1-credit FHSS Student Research Academy course. Times of available Academy classes are found in the application.